Thursday, August 11, 2011

Inner Beauty Makeover


I attended a natural hair meet-up in Birmingham and it dawned on me how far I have come in this natural hair journey. If you know my hair story, I wanted to change my overall look because of a bad break-up. Yeah, I wanted to change who I was because of a M-A-N! Who does that?! I was listening to ladies speak at the event and I was totally unaware that so many ladies had dealt with having poor self-image issues. Beauty and trying to figure out how we "should" look has plagued our community since slavery. Light-skinned vs. dark skinned and now natural hair vs relaxed hair. Why are we so concerned with our outer beauty, when so many of us need an inner beauty make-over?

Sure, I have gotten many compliments on how cute my hair is and how it "fits" me (whatever that means) but do you notice a change that radiates from within me? Natural, in my own definition, is pure. No additives, no extra stuff. Natural is original. Had I known who I was "naturally" maybe my break-up wouldn't have made me want to change myself for a guy. Maybe if you know who you are "naturally" it won't bother you so bad either. So, it is my hope that women, whether natural or relaxed, explore the inner "natural" sides of themselves, and finally embrace all you are. I truly believe that once we silence the "lyes/lies" that have been told about us and said against us, we can truly put to rest our poor self-image issues and re-claim our Inner Beauty!

~Trulibeauti

No comments:

Post a Comment